Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Mediator, Ninth Key by Meg Cabot

You must have known Meg Cabot from Princess Diaries series, right? A story which is telling a life of ordinary girl, Mia Thermopolis, who suddenly recognized as Genovia Princess. I can say I was so fascinated about the series, but one day I saw another Cabot's book in bookstore. It called The Mediator, and I had no idea before, but after reading it, wow! It's even better than Princess Diaries! I mean it. :)


What I'd like to review here is the second book. Yes, I know I should review the first book before, which is Shadowland, but it is borrowed by a friend.  I don't have any confidence to write a review where I don't have the book itself beside me. haha, weird, but it's me.
So, I'll share you about little about Susannah Simon, so you're not going to be anxious of her.

Summary

Susannah-used to called Suze- can see dead people. She is a mediator, connector between the living and the dead. When her mother gets married again, and they're moving to sunny California, she meets hot guy there. Too bad, he's a ghost. Jesse, his name, is haunting her room, but it seems like he doesn't need any help, which is doesn't matter for Suze, because actually she prefer going shopping and other girl things to chasing the deads around, and mediating them.
In second book, everything is going great for Suze. Her new life in California is a whirlwind of parties and excellent hair days. Tad Beaumont, the hottest boy in town, has even asked Suze out on her very first date. Suze is so excited that she's willing to ignore her misgivings about Tad.particularly the fact that he's not Jesse, whose ghostly status-not to mention apparent disinterest in her-make him unattainable.
What Suze can't ignore, however, is the ghost of a murdered woman whose death seems directly connected to dark secrets hidden in none other than Tad Beaumont's past. 


What makes it more interesting than Princess Diaries? Well, I should say, in my humble opinion, is relationship between Suze and Jesse. They're unique, coming from different world, flirting one another without confessing their feeling. I have nooooo idea what'll happen at the end. And, Meg insert some fighting scenes- Suzes sometimes has to use her power to force evil ghosts, so they can come back to heir world- which couldn't met in any Princess Diaries series. 

Character of Suze, itself, is interesting. Playing like lost puppy, when she can't adapt well in her new environment, facing new family, new dad, and brothers (and they are all weird!), with her father's ghost's following her everywhere. And, a cute ghost in her room. Can you imagine how is Suze able to get some privacy? The other way, she is only a teenager.

So, here, The Mediator Ninth Key. I bet you'll love it! :)


PS. There are six books in The Mediator series. They've already published it in English copy, but I'll try to wait patiently for Bahasa copy. Gramedia has published two of them, Shadowland and Ninth Key. I can't wait for the third book! :)

1 comment:

  1. seems like Cabot is inspired by Meyer`s saga :D
    since twilight is booming, mythical creature like such a trend: vampire, werewolf,ghost.......

    but i do like Cabot writing style, both the teenlit and the chicklit :D

    ReplyDelete